27 August 2020
Uber UK Launches New PIN Update In Bid To Make Passenger Journeys Safer
Uber UK has recently released a major update to its ride-hailing app. In addition to now providing more health and safety reminders amidst the coronavirus pandemic, Uber has also launched PIN verification to its features.
How It Works:
If you’ve opted in for the new feature, once you’ve requested a trip on the app, you’ll immediately receive a unique 4-digit PIN. Once the driver arrives, tell them your PIN before getting into the vehicle. Once they’ve entered it in and the journey has started, you can safely enter the vehicle and be on your way.
In addition to this, remember to always check you’re getting into the right car by checking if the driver’s face matches the one in their profile photo, as well as ensuring the vehicle registration plate matches the one shown on your screen.
How To Opt In:
- Update your Uber app to the latest version
- Open the app, go to Settings and tap “Verify Your Trips”
- Tap to toggle on “Use PIN To Verify Trips”, and then select “Every Trip” or “Only At Night”
- Tap “Done”
Sharing Your Location and Trip Status With Family and Friends
Uber have also launched other additions to their app in recent times to increase passenger safety, including the ability to share your trip status with family and friends. Depending on the city you live in, you may be able to do this under the “Follow My Ride” option.
- Go to “Settings” on the main app
- Select “Follow My Ride”
- Move the toggle to ON
- Tap “Select Contacts”
- Search for the names of the people you’d like to share your trips with
Turning On “Follow My Ride” During A Trip
- On the top left of the navigation screen, tap the pin icon
- If you see a blue check, your ride is being followed
- Select the shield on the bottom right of your screen as your journey begins
- Select “Share trip” to set up who you want to share your journey with
As Uber continues to work on new safety features updates across the globe, such as the launch of “Uber Shield” in countries such as Poland, it is likely we will be seeing many more new updates coming to us in the near future